Friday, April 22, 2011

Paula Deen inspired dinner

A few days ago I was at the grocery store and they had these “minute steaks” that looked really fresh. They were also a perfect size to make a meal for one and priced reasonably too. It was a Tuesday evening and I decided I would make them over the weekend, so kept them in the fridge. All day Thursday, I kept thinking about the steaks and what I could do with them. By the time I got home from work, my mouth was watering and I couldn’t wait any longer.

I decided to keep it simple, since grilled or seared meat with just a little salt tastes so flavorful, I didn’t want to take away from that. I put on some potatoes to boil (for mash) and sliced up mushrooms to sauté. Now, why did I title this a Paula Deen inspired dinner? Butter! I decided to go all out and used over ½ a cup of butter for this meal! The mushrooms were sautéed in butter with a tiny bit of Worcestershire sauce. The mash had a generous amount of butter and finally, the steaks were also cooked in butter!

What you’ll need for the steak:
Fresh Garlic (2 to 3 large cloves)
Soy Sauce
Butter

In a wide/shallow bowl, crush or mince the garlic. Add enough soy sauce to be able to dip your steak(s). Mix well and keep aside. Rinse the steak(s) just to add some moisture. Using a fork, poke the steak on both sides and then place in the soy sauce mix. Let the meat soak for a minute or two on each side. In a skillet, melt a generous amount of butter. Cook the steak(s) on medium to medium high heat, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. This will give you a medium to medium well steak (no red and a small pink center). Of course this depends also on the thickness and size of your steak(s). Mine were about a ½ to ¾ inch thick and not very large…probably the size of a hamburger bun or smaller.
Once your steak(s) are done, you can use the skillet to make a quick pepper or garlic sauce, but I didn’t since I used salted butter and with the soy left in my pan, it was too salty.

No joke, it was probably one of the quickest and most enjoyable meals I’ve made or eaten in a long time... So, as Paula would say: See y'all next time, love and best dishes from my kitchen to yours!

No comments: